Sunday, December 4, 2011

Moving to a new region--too difficult to bother?

I have lived the entirety of my life in "the south" VA, TN, SC, etc; however my company is now offering me a transfer to Portland, Maine. If I turn down the transfer, I could keep my current position, but would likely not advance for a while. I have never been to the north-east and could visit, however, the experience of visiting is summer may not tell what a winter is really like there.





For those who have lived in, or even just visited both regions, what would you suggest?|||Yes, take a chance. You will probably never have this opportunity again. When most people look back at their life they usually regret only opportunities for adventure that they didn't take advantage of - not the ones that they did.





Just be sure to go into it with a good attitude, keep your sense of humor and embrace the chance to try new things, have new experiences, see different places and make new friends. You will have the chance to try different types of activities, foods and see the customs and traditions from a different region of the country. What fun!





It will be helpful to keep an open mind to looking at things from a different perspective and don't allow yourself to compare everything negatively to what you had "back home". It is through our experiences that we grow and gain knowledge and understanding. If after a few years, you decide you want to move back to the south you will have lots of stories and experiences to take back home with you.





I had the opportunity to live for awhile in a different part of the country than where I was from and I'm glad I did. I did eventually move back to where I was originally from, but it was a very memorable adventure that I don't regret.|||I have lived in Connecticut my entire life which is actually quite different then Maine. They have a very strong New England accent, they take life very slowly I would say. The winters can be very hard as most of the Northeast. Summers are mild and very relaxing, especially around Bar Harbor. I suggest going there. The south folk and the Yankees are like oil and water but a career minded woman like yourself should have no problem. I suggest getting a house closer to Portland city limits so the winters will be easier for plowing, maintenance, etc. It is going to be a big change in life style to. Many retirees settle in Maine also. Take the chance and experience New England is what I have to say! I am sorry I cant give you more about everyday living, I have never been to Maine for then a few weeks.|||Are you an adventurer?





The nice thing about moving around the USA is that even though every region has their differences, our American culture is pretty homogeneous in a lot of ways. We have to speak English to do business with each other, we have the same major retail stores and media outlets, and there is almost ALWAYS a supermarket or mall within 10 miles.





But of course there are the little things that make every region unique, like the weather (In Maine, it DOES get cold, and in some place they have biting flies.), general attitudes, your favorite hangout spot, etc. If you are the type of person that WILL NOT be happy except with the things you're used to, or that you've been exposed to for most of your life: Stay where you are. Regardless of your position at work, you will be more unhappy if you move because you like where you are now.





On the other other hand, all other things being equal, if you can stomach the journey of change, go ahead and move. Yes, things WILL be different. But they could also be more fun, too. At the VERY least, you'll get to see how life as a New England-er is . And remember, you won't have to change your currency at the border. :)





I wish you well on your decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment