Thursday, December 8, 2011

Tough question about transferring colleges?

I am currently a sophomore at a large university in Texas. I have been accepted into a university in the Pacific Northwest for next year. I am facing a very tough decision about whether transfer or not. My mother agrees with the decision but my father is angry at the decision





I am considering transferring because I want to go to an out of state university, and the northwestern school has a better rating than my current school. All of my credits have been accepted, so it would not hurt me academically. My mom is very supportive of this and she has told me that finances would not be an issue.





My current issue with my school is that it is a commuter school with a bad academic reputation. Most of the people who go to this school know each other from high school or childhood and they still live with their parents. I have made several good friends here, and the friends I have made here are one of the reasons that I am worried about leaving. I have done research on the northwestern university and I have found that they have better programs and is affordable overall.





Is it wise to stay at a university that you do not like because you have good friends there?


Are there negative consequences from transferring to a different region of the country that I am not considering?


My mom's family is supportive, but my dad's family is furious about this and they might quit speaking to me if I transfer (that is another story) is this something to be concerned about?


is transferring to another part of the country going to isolate me socially and fiscally?





My doubts about transferring come from the fact that at my current school everything is available and help academically and socially is close at hand? Is moving away from something that is familiar a foolish decision?|||Believe me, transfer, it does not take that big of a hit on your social life at all. You may need time to get adjusted but commuter schools really take the social life out of your college years, if you can afford it then do it.|||There is absolutely no advantage, academically or financially, to leaving Texas for your Bachelors.





Transfer to a different Texas school - TAMU-Galveston and UTEP have wonderful programs, and of course there are excellent world-class universities such as UT-Austin and TAMU-College Station.





I'm not crazy about Lubbock, but Tech is an excellent school as well.|||You can find friends at any college that you attend. I wouldn't let your current college friends hold you back from an upgrade that is going to challenge you more. There is more to life than hanging out with friends.





If you transfer to a big school in the northwest, for example, University of Washington, you're going to have plenty of people to meet and places to go during breaks.





If your dad is really going to ignore you for getting a college degree than you need to pray for him and ask God to soften his heart because this is clearly a good decision on your part and who knows you might meet your future spouse at this college.





Blessings

No comments:

Post a Comment