Thursday, December 15, 2011

Can someone help me in this decision and suggest something in this situation?

I have an employee that I will probably have to fire ...The fact is that this employee was transferred a few months ago to a branch office in another region of my country and also transferred to a local supervisor ...well, I'm still his supervisor but indirectly ...Now, the time has comed to fire this employee and his local supervisor would like I do this employee evaluation and that I myself take the decision to fire him ..I could have done it but the fact is that, I'm not the one supervising that employee on the field , and when I tell this employee about the oral feedback I have from people for him and even from my boss, and from his supervisor, he refuses to accept that and I told him, that I cannot take any decision now without your local supervisor ...But, the local supervisor doesn't want to send me a report about whether or nor he was satisfied of the employee so I can do the follow up ..The employee thinks, that I'm the one taking the decision on my own because his region didn|||You have two problems - a weak supervisor below you and an employee who isn't performing to standard and who seems to be intimidating his supervisor.





Have a one-on-one discussion with the line supervisor to find out exactly why the employee should be fired and then help him draft the reasons why in an organized, concise, and to-the-point written recommendation. Endorse the recommendation and direct the line supervisor to fire the employee immediately. If he refuses or delays doing so, then fire the employee yourself and either fire or demote the line supervisor.





In no case should you let your boss see you as weak or indecisive, so you must take swift action.





Weak employees and supervisors can really hurt an organization. You have a moral obligation to treat people fairly and with some compassion, but you can't continue to employ people who hurt the organization because of indecisiveness, poor attitude, bad work habits, and overall poor work performance.|||i say just step up and say that's it your fired. and if there is a problem tell him to take it up with the local supervisor|||I would make the employee produce the report. Tell him like this get me the report that confirm your statement or your fired. You have 1 or 2 day(s).|||fire him and the local supervisor for refusing to send u a report|||to be fair you should ask you HR department as they should know all the little details i would of thought. Because you need people in you corner so you don't get in to trouble. Citizens advice might also be able to help?


just don't risk you job or status through it.








lucie|||This is a sticky situation indeed. Be *sure* that you comply with the law in all of the details and documentation, so that this won't come back on you. As has been suggested, your HR director (and possibly your corporate attorney) will be able to advise you of the required process. If you don't move on this quickly, your job could be jeopardized for failure to follow your supervisor's direction. Don't take that risk.


Require that the employee's local supervisor submit a complete report, and give a due date. Explain clearly that if you do not receive the report -- in your hand -- by the close of business on that day, they will themselves lose their jobs. (You may need another manager to witness the discussion and / or for the local supervisor to sign a written statement that they understand the conditions of your request -- not that they agree, but that they understand.) You will probably receive a very useful report within the allotted time.


If you do not receive a report from the employee's superior, you might resort to obtaining written or recorded eye witness accounts from the person's co-workers, clients, and / or vendors. You need documented evidence to fire this employee.


Keep your direct supervisor informed at every step of the process. I wish you well in fulfilling this task in a manner that will be a feather in your cap in your professional development.

No comments:

Post a Comment