Thursday, December 8, 2011

What's the best way for me to get from New Hampshire to New Brunswick, Canada?

I live in the Lakes Region of New Hampshire and want to go visit a friend in New Brunswick, Canada (around Fredericton or Miramichi). I don't have my own car at the time and don't want to rent one. It's only an eight or nine hour drive, so I really don't want to take a plane. Plus, then I'd have to get a passport. My friend suggested taking a bus, like Greyhound. Can I take a bus to Maine and transfer to one that'll take me into Canada? Flying and driving myself aren't my only options, right?





Also, how does it work when you cross the border? Do you get out of the car or is it like going through a toll? Do they ask you questions? What will I have to tell them - where I'm going and how long I'll be there? I have no idea what to expect.





From what I've read, I don't need a passport yet (that law won't be made until early 2008 according to the U.S. Passport website), but I do need my drivers license and birth certificate, correct? Will I need anything else?





Thanks for any help!|||No passport required yet, other ID should suffice. From New Hampshire to St. Stephen to Fredericton, transfer to Miramichi. Should be easily arranged through Greyhound. Border takes a few extra minutes, enjoy the trip. Is a long haul, bring a blanket, pillow and good book.|||Drivers license and or birth cert should get you across no problem. If you take a bus I would imagine you could get one and cross maybe at Calais/St. Stephen. Probably have to go through immagration and they will just want to know where you are going and how long you plan to stay.


To find a bus just go to your local Greyhound station and ask questions. You may have to switch buses in Saint John NB though.|||You can take the bus to Montreal or Quebec and then transfer to NB as well. Maine to NB would be an odd route if you are going to Mirimichi. You could also take the train from Montreal or Quebec (Levis)

No comments:

Post a Comment