Monday, December 12, 2011

Should I transfer universities?

I got a pretty complicated situation here: .


I go to Tulane University


I'm from Texas


I'm a second semester freshman. I got ok grades first semester. My other credentials are solid.


I have a full Army scholarship, meaning I pay zero in any university related fees (though not to sound snobby in any way, I could get by with some financial aid and my family paying easily). They have my major (international relations) and decent professors here at tulane, but a pretty sub par study abroad program. My main point of dissatisfaction is the people here though, I grew up in the South and the majority of Tulane students come from the northeast, which I was surprised but originally fine with. But after a year with north-easterners (who at Tulane tend to be very rich and mainly from long island/NY) I have developed a distaste for the sense of entitlement and overall rudeness that seems to be endemic in the upper class of the northeast region. I am trapped in a microcosm of New York in my native south. I've found the city of New Orleans disappointing and very racially charged and antagonistic, I like partying as much as the next kid but I don't think drinking can stand alone as an endearing quality. As a result of my southern disposition, I have found myself mostly friendless or hanging out with people whose company I don't necessarily enjoy. I go about things alone most of my days here and am quite lonely as I had tons of friends in high school. All my friends go to U of Texas Austin or Texas A%26amp;M, I have applied for transfer to both of those schools.





Catch is, I would need to make a move soon because first day of sophomore year I'm legally locked into the Army and more importantly Tulane for good (if I quit after that I'd incur a commitment as an enlisted soldier in the army, not good). I probably would be paying for tuition where ever I transfer for at least a semester before I get another Army scholarship (the scholarship doesn't transfer with me).





My parents have advised me to make it work at Tulane because my main transfer reasons are social and "emotional" but said they'd support whatever I chose. I don't want to blindly take their advice and be stuck at Tulane for the duration, the thought of that depresses the hell out of me quite frankly.


Also side note, Army ROTC has forced me to join intramurals, social/interest clubs, etc. none of which has brought me into contact with anybody I can remotely relate to.


So...transfer or tough it out here?


Thanks in advance, sorry for the length of the entry.|||I agree with Amy, you will have to learn to deal with, and even make a positive experience out of being with all kinds of people in your life. Tulane is not majority Northeastern people, it is about 1/3. Another 1/3 is from the South and Texas, and the remainder from everywhere else, with a heavy California contingent. There is no question that as a sweeping generalization, people from the Northeast are more outgoing and brasher than Southerners and Midwesterners. Or Californians. So I guess than anyone else, lol.





I would also say the study abroad program is not sub par, but I will agree that the study abroad office staff should be better. They are not as helpful as they could be, mostly because they are short-staffed and overworked. But hundreds of students get through that fine every year and have an amazing experience. I think you are projecting your unhappiness on all aspects of the university, which is actually understandable.





Having said all that, you have to go with your gut instincts sometimes. If you really think you would be happier at a large school like UT or A%26amp;M, then perhaps you should go for it. Social is important, you can get good classroom instruction at a lot of schools. There are other aspects of Tulane that you won't find at schools like UT, and of course vice-versa. If those aspects on balance weigh out in favor of being happier somewhere else, then that is what you should do. Just be sure it isn't a "grass is greener" thing.|||I went to Virginia Tech on a NROTC scholarship and transferred to UT with my scholarship. If you have any questions, email me. I've never been happier.





timgar18@gmail.com

Report Abuse


|||That's tough. If you can handle the financial burden then I would transfer.



Honestly, it seems like you're unhappy and there's no reason to be depressed for three more years if you don't have to be. Every school has a different social climate and this one just isn't for you.



But I will say this: You will meet people from all different walks of life and you won't always have the option to "transfer". For all you know your boss one day could be exactly the type of person you're complaining about. Just keep that in mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment